Pages

Thursday 15 May 2014

A Minor Bummer

Something happened the other day. Someone was nice enough to rate my book Nikkirotica 1: Fun With Friends over at Smashwords. They rated it 4 out of 5 which is a good rating. The interesting aspect of it was that it was the first time that it had been rated at less than 5 stars. That in and of itself is not a significant issue and I'm not complaining about an honest appraisal of 4 out of 5.

The thing is, because it was the first time that it had been rated at less than 5 stars, it dropped from being the third or fourth top rated erotic book at Smashwords to something significantly less than that. If a book has one rating of 5 stars on the site, it will rank before my book. That means that my book now features on page 145 of the rankings guide. A page that no one will bother to get to (Except for me because I was curious enough to keep searching.)

Now given my book is free, this massive drop in its ranking location doesn't directly affect any money that I make from selling my work (hell its not like this even goes close to being a big money making venture for me) but I was interested to note that it went from being downloaded an average of 10-15 times per day to less than 5 which corresponds to the drop in page views.

Not the end of the world, but interesting to see the impact a single well-intentioned rating can have on the visibility of your book. I always hoped that if nothing else, having that first free book available for so many people to download would mean that people would enjoy it enough to buy one of my others.

Oh well, that's life I guess. Lucky I don't rely on writing to feed myself! lol

licks and kisses,

nikkira

No comments:

Post a Comment